Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Veggie pizza appetizer

Print Friendly and PDF
So my father in-law has this golf tournament for the neighborhood men every year around this time. Of course, my husband is always invited as it is a rare time they get to golf together. My in-laws always have a big shin-dig after the golfing which all the women pitch in and cook. (Surprise, surprise... LOL). My mother in-law always insists that I just relax and come hang out and just worry about Lexi. Well, if you know me, I can't NOT bring something to a party!
Here is Lexi helping put some cheese on. YUM!
Everyone expected me to bring cupcakes, but they tend to take a little bit more work and people usually don't have enough room for dessert. I wanted my food to be something people would actually get a chance to eat!
I thought for a while, then I remembered that my friend Stephanie, who blogs too, brought this DELICIOUS veggie pizza appetizer to my Labor Day party. She said it was simple to make and boy was is easy!
It's a cold appetizer and it mimics a pizza, so it's not really a pizza as you would think.
Everyone LOVED it! A neighborhood wife, who hasn't been able to really eat much, requested that I give her daughter the recipe, she loved it so much! =o) I love hearing that!
I only wish Lexi would have tried it, that would have made my day even more. But I guess I can't ask for THAT much. LOL. =o)
Anyway, without further ado, here is the recipe that I used.

Recipe adapted from Stephanie Cooks

Ingredients:
2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls or 2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury® Crescent Recipe Creations™ refrigerated flaky dough sheet
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch dip mix
1/2 cup of assorted colored peppers, diced small
1/2 tbsp butter (or olive oil)
1 bag of baby spinach
1 garlic clove diced
1/4 cup Cherry tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup shredded carrot (I did not add this on)
1 small purple onion diced
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. If using crescent rolls: Unroll both cans of dough; separate dough into 4 long rectangles. In ungreased 15x10x1-inch pan, place dough; press in bottom and up sides to form crust. If using dough sheets: Unroll both cans of dough. In ungreased 15x10x1-inch pan, place dough; press in bottom and up sides to form crust.
3. Bake 13 to 17 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
4. Melt the butter (oil) in a saute pan. Add 1/2 the onions, saute for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, saute for 30 seconds. Add in the spinach and saute until wilted. (I torn the spinach up instead of chopping it). Set aside to cool.
5. In small bowl, mix cream cheese, sour cream, and ranch powder until smooth. Spread over crust. Top with the spinach mixture FIRST, then add the vegetables, remaining onions, and cheese. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment