Friday, January 24, 2014

Hummus salad

Print Friendly and PDF
This past weekend we went to Panera for  a quick lunch. I usually get the you pick two with a Greek salad and broccoli cheddar soup. But I was feeling adventurous and got the chicken jalapeƱo hummus salad. Boy, was I glad I did. It was delicious!!! :) I've been thinking about it ever since. 
So today after a nice run at the gym, I wanted something healthy for dinner. I was too lazy to drive to Panera, so I hoped I had enough ingredients to make hummus. 
Luckily I keep canned beans handy. I quickly whipped up some hummus and voila, I had hummus salad.


The hummus ingredients:
1) 1 can of chickpeas 
2) 1 garlic clove, peeled
3) juice of 1 lemon (I actually used two, start with one, taste and if you want more lemon flavor, add more)
4) 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (Panera has jalapeƱos in theirs, I just didn't have it on hand)
5) 1/4 cup olive oil (depending on the consistency you want, you may want to add more)
6) 1 tbsp parsley
7) salt and pepper to taste 

Put all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth or desired consistency. Adjust lemon juice, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and olive oil. 

As you can see, this recipe is very flexible. I made it in about 5 minutes. And it was delicious! 
As for the salad, it is whatever you like in a typical salad. I didn't have any chicken, but I would have added that too. The hummus acts as the dressig whih makes it a super healthy and fulfilling salad! :)

Enjoy!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment