Friday, March 30, 2012

Squash/Non-cooked Foods

Print Friendly and PDF We're back again! =o)

Squash
I covered sweet potatoes yesterday and squash (butternut squash and acorn squash specifically) is pretty much the same except the way you cook it.
It is still cooked in the oven, or if you'd like cut up into pieces and boil/steam them.
Cut the squash in half, take all the seeds out. You do not need to peel the skin off.
Put about an inch water in a glass bakeware and put the squash CUT SIDE down. Set the oven at 375 degrees. I would put the squash in for about 20 minutes and then check to see if the squash is soft. Feel the outside and if it is soft when you squeeze it.
Wait at least 10 minutes for the squash to cool.
Take the meat of the squash and put in the food processor. KEEP THE WATER just in case. Again, puree to the thickness that you want. You may use the cooking water to thin the puree a little.
Put the the ice trays and freeze.

**One thing that I forgot yesterday! When I take the frozen cubes out I put them in a ziploc freezer bag and label and date it so I know what it is and when I made it. You don't want to keep the food frozen for too long. I think up to 6 months. But I'm sure you'll be restocking the food WAY before then anyway.


Non-cooked Foods
Avocados and bananas fall under this category. You pretty much just take out what you want to feed the baby at the moment and mash with a fork. I would not recommend pureeing with the food processor since both these items oxidize (brown) very quickly.
When I fed Lexi these two I didn't mash them too much, as I said before she didn't like the really pureed texture. Also, Lexi did not like the bananas when I fed them to her, I guess they were too slimy.. who knows. She eats them now though! =o)


Well that's all for now! If I forgot anything or if you have questions please let me know! I apologize in advance if there is anything missing, Lexi has not been sleeping well at night and getting up twice... I think due to her teeth...Cross your fingers for tonight! =o)

No comments:

Post a Comment