Monday, April 2, 2012

Apples and Pears

Print Friendly and PDF  **I have realized that I haven't stated which month to start feeding the baby solid food. This is up to you, your pediatrician, and how your baby is doing. I started Lexi at around 4 1/2 months because she seemed to just want more than just milk. My pediatrician REALLY didn't want me to start until 6 months... but I went ahead and did anyway. Lexi is just fine, and she did great! =o) She had great head strength, her hands were always busy, she was sitting up, and she opened her mouth when I brought the spoon to her mouth. All of the recipes so far are for the 1st stage (4-6 months).


I started off with veggies because for some reason, Lexi did not like fruit at first, bananas and store bought apple sauce. So I held off on trying fruit till a little later. And even when I did start making it she only ate the fruit when I mixed it with other things.
The only rule to mixing things is that you mix with other foods that the baby has already tried and passed the "4 day wait" rule. That way, you know which foods caused the reaction, if any.

Anyway... onto Apples!

Apples:
I have used fuji and gala apples (mixed). I felt that these were a little sweeter than macintosh and granny smith. Though you can use whatever apples you like. Since Lexi was already so picky, I just went safe and used sweeter apples. I also was lucky that it was apple picking season in NJ, so Lexi got a real treat with freshly picked apples.
As I stated before, I tried the store bought apple sauce, and if you want to go that route, make sure that you READ the ingredients. Buy NATURAL apple sauce, no cinnamon (the baby shouldn't have spices till I think around 8 months). Make sure the only ingredients is/are apples (you may see ascorbic or citric acid in it, this is okay since that is just used to help with shelf life.)

  • Peel, core, cut apples into chunks.
  • Place slices or chunks into a pan with just enough water to slightly cover apples and boil/steam until tender; be sure to check on the water level and stir.
  • Place cooked apples into the food processor and RESERVE the cooking liquid just in case.
  • Puree until desired consistency is reached. (You may want to use a potato masher, but I think the consistency is not as smooth, you may want to do this in the later months.)
  • Store in ice trays and freeze. Then place in plastic bag and label/date.
*You can bake the apples, but I would wait till the baby is in the second stage (6-8 months)
  • Core apple and leave peel on
  • Place a little bit of butter (if baby is ready for or has had dairy) on the inside of the cored apple (sprinkle a bit of cinnamon in the apple if your desire and if baby is ready for or has had cinnamon)
  • Place in a pan with just enough water to slightly cover apples, should be about an inch of water.
  • Bake in a 400-degree oven for 30 minutes or until tender; be sure to check on the water level.
  • Check to see for softness.
  • You can either puree in the food processor, or cube up to serve as finger food. 

Pears:

In the store you'll see different types of pears. I used Bosch pears since they are best used when cooked. Again, use whatever you like, but these tend to be better cooked and sweeter.

Use the same method as apples to cook/make the baby food, but only steam them.


Have fun!
-Mindie

No comments:

Post a Comment