Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Tofu

Print Friendly and PDF
 Hey eveyrone!!! Okay.. we're taking a slight detour before I begin tofu. I ordered cake pops for Lexi's birthday party and they are AWESOME!!! If you are thinking of having favors, center pieces, or just LOVE cake... THESE are perfect! Please contact Gina for more information. Her facebook website is below and I have also attached a picture of one of her ADORABLE cake pops that she made for Lexi. I will post the bunny ones as soon as I take a picture of them. CHECK IT OUT!!!!






Okay... Now onto TOFU!!

I started Lexi on Tofu around 9 months, I think...It was her first "protein". It was great to start with because tofu has no taste and takes on whatever favor you add to it. By this time you should have already tried some fruits and veggies so all you have to do is mix them.  Since tofu is technically already cooked, you don't have to do much.

What to buy: 
There are many companies who make tofu. If you have an Asian market close by, I would buy the tofu from there. It is much cheaper at Asian markets than in the regular grocery store. If you have to, then buy from the supermarket. But, I will stress again, it is SSSOOOO much cheaper at the Asian markets. (F.Y.I: Most groceries that you see in both are cheaper at the Asian markets.)

(Read the labels, and also look through the packaging.)
DO NOT purchase silken (soft silk) tofu for this! It is WAY too soft! It will look like this:



DO NOT BUY if your tofu looks like this. (It looks really soft and silky. This will fall apart if you try to hold it in your hands.)





Purchase firm tofu.

 
^----Pictured here.
You should see some pores and it should just look more like a sponge.


This is what I did: (If you are just going to freeze the tofu, skip the first two steps.)
  • Cut tofu up into cubes. In the meantime, get some water boiling.
  • Heat the tofu up in the water, only for a few seconds. (As I said, they are already cooked so you don't need to heat it up much. 
  • Put the tofu in the food processor and puree. (The puree won't be completely smooth, but it's okay. Babies like some texture at this point.)
  • You can put into ice trays and freeze, or feed to your baby right away.
As I said before, mix with other foods that you have already given to you child.
Again, if you have questions, Please let me know! =o)

Have Fun!!!
-Mindie

No comments:

Post a Comment