Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Jalapeno Popper Baked Chicken

Print Friendly and PDF  My husband LOVES jalapeno poppers, but I really don't make them. Over the summer I was obsessed with this blog SkinnyTaste. She has a lot of cool interesting recipes that don't make you feel too guilty eating. =o) (I also got the Guinness cupcakes from here).
 I came across this interesting recipe and I just HAD to try it. Cheese + Spicy + Chicken... it couldn't be bad! =o)
Just an FYI before you make this, (or anything with Jalapenos), is to make sure you know the spiciness of the peppers. They tend to differ a lot depending on the season, plant, even where you got it from the plant. The way I usually tell is that when I cut into it (I cover my left hand with a glove since the oils from the pepper really irritate my skin) I can smell the spiciness. It is a very stinging smell. If I don't get that "stinging" sensation, I usually put more peppers in.

Well, here are my finished chicken poppers. =o)

I forgot to take pictures BEFORE we ate them... sorry! =o)

They were DELICIOUS though.

Even though I only put 1.5 jalapenos in, it was still SUPER SPICY!!
When I made this recipe, I actually had REALLY spicy peppers so I only used about 1 and a half. I also do not take the seeds and the ribs out, I feel that the a lot of the flavor is taken out when you do that. So I usually just gauge it by my nose. =o) Plus, I love spicy!

Enjoy!!!

Recipe Adapted from: Skinnytaste

Cheesy Jalapeño Popper Baked Stuffed Chicken 
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 2 stuffed breasts • Old Points: 9 pt • Points+: 9 pts
Calories: 371 • Fat: 17.5 g • Protein: 42.7 g • Carb: 11 g • Fiber: 1.5 g • Sugar: 0.6 g
Sodium: 355.8 mg (without salt)

Ingredients:


  • 2 slices center cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 3 jalapeños, chopped (Depending on how spicy they are. I usually use the whole jalapeno, I don't like taking the seeds out. I think I used 1.5 because they were so spicy.)
  • 3 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
  • 4 oz shredded cheddar jack (Sargento, you can use reduced fat if you'd like, but I just want the real thing. And I think it tastes better.)
  • 2 tbsp chopped scallions
  • 4 thin sliced skinless chicken breast cutlets, 3 oz each
  • 1/2 cup Italian seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
  • 1 1/2 juicy limes, juice of
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • salt and fresh pepper
  • olive oil non-stick spray 

    Directions:

    Wash
    and dry chicken cutlets, cut the chicken in half and slightly pound out till about 1/4 inch thick. Season with salt and pepper.  Preheat oven to 450°. Lightly spray a baking dish with non-stick spray.

    Combine cream cheese, cheddar, scallions, jalapeño and bacon crumbles in a medium bowl.

    Lay chicken cutlets on a working surface and spread 2 tbsp of cream cheese mixture on each cutlet. Loosely roll each one, secure the ends with toothpicks to prevent the cheese from oozing out.

    Place breadcrumbs in a bowl; in a second bowl combine olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper.

    Dip chicken in lime-oil mixture, then in breadcrumbs and place seam side down on a baking dish. Repeat with the remaining chicken. When finished, lightly spray the top of the chicken with oil spray.

    Bake 22-25 minutes, serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment