Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

Print Friendly and PDF As Girl Scout Cookie time approaches.... I have ordered by cookies but have not received them yet... and ice cream season is not at it's peak, these cookies are a GREAT way to satisfy that minty chocolaty craving we all get.

I actually found this recipe from Rachel Ray. This is probably one of the only recipes that I like from her. She actually used a store bought chocolate chip cookie mix, but you know I don't like to take short cuts. =o) Baking is all from scratch!

To make these cookies I actually combined Rachel Ray's recipe, the Nestle Toll House cookie recipe, and a little spin from me. (Nestle Toll House always reminds me of the Friends episode when Monica is trying to figure out Phoebe's Grandama's cookie recipe....hehe)

Enjoy!!

They are sssoooo yummy!!!

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I use 1 cup white whole wheat flour and 1 1/2 cups of all purpose white flour)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
  • 1-2 teaspoons pure mint extract (You can add more if you like it minty, but don't add too much!)
  •  5-10 drops of green food coloring. (You can add more or less, depending on how green you want your cookies.)

Directions

PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Add mint extract and green food coloring until desired result. Stir in morsels. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. (I use a small ice cream scoop to portion out my cookie dough You can find it HERE, I think I have the 1.25 scoop, you don't want it too big.)

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

PAN COOKIE VARIATION: Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Prepare dough as above. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Makes 4 dozen bars.

SLICE AND BAKE COOKIE VARIATION:
PREPARE
dough as above. Divide in half; wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. Shape each half into 15-inch log; wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.* Preheat oven to 375° F. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices; place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

* May be stored in refrigerator for up to 1 week or in freezer for up to 8 weeks.
** I also use the scoop to freeze any cookies I don't want to bake at the moment. Place them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and place in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Take them out and place in a freezer safe bag. Make sure you label with instructions. I like to defrost my cookie before I bake them.


No comments:

Post a Comment