Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Chocolate pancakes!

Print Friendly and PDF

My little Lexi has been quite the chocolate monster. Pretty much anything that has chocolate in it, she will gobble up in seconds! So I really try to make anything and everything look like it's chocolate! =o)
So to change up breakfast on the weekends, I usually make pancakes, waffles, omelets, or anything that we are in the mood for.
I love chocolate chips and sprinkles (so does EVERYONE I hope.. =o)), so these pancakes were perfect for a nice Sunday morning.
The pancakes, as I hope you predicted, went over VERY well with Lexi.




To make life a little easier, I usually keep a bag of my own pancake mix on hand.
I chose my favorite pancake recipe and I just added in all the dry ingredients to a bag.
As you can see mine has:
1) 4 Cups of flour [I sometimes mix it up and use white whole wheat flour or a 50/50 mix of all purpose and whole wheat.]
2) 4 tsp baking powder
3) 2 tsp salt

I usually only use 1 cup of the mix at a time since it gives us plenty (2 adults and 1 toddler) of pancakes.

For each 1 cup of mix I use:
1) 1 egg beaten
2) 1 cup of milk
3) 1 tbsp vegetable oil


 For the chocolate chip sprinkle pancakes I also added in:
4) 1/4 cup of dark unsweetened cocoa powder
5) 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
6) 1 tbsp Chocolate Chips for EACH pancake
7) 1 tsp rainbow sprinkles for EACH pancake
Directions:
1) Mix in the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients (including the cocoa powder and the vanilla!) until JUST barely combined.
[***You really don't want to over mix pancake batter because the pancake gets too tough.]
2) Heat a griddle pan (frying pan) while the better is resting.
3) When the pan is hot, start adding 1/4 cup of batter to the pan.
4) Sprinkle chocolate chips and sprinkles on the pancakes.
5) Flip each pancake when bubbles start to form at the top.
6) Cook until pancakes are done
7) Put pancakes in a warmed toaster oven (lowest heat setting possible) to keep pancakes warm.
8) Repeat until batter is finished.







No comments:

Post a Comment