(I know this is a day late, I totally forgot it was Wednesday yesterday! haha.. yea.. it was one of those days!)
So you all remember my post about Easter! Such a last minute decision to cook a big meal! =o) Since I was cooking up a storm I wanted to pick a dessert that was easy, light, but delicious! I was in a lemony mood and I stumbled upon this recipe for lemon squares.
As you know lemon squares usually have A LOT of butter in the crust, but this one didn't. I was a little wary of how it would taste at first because there wasn't a lot of butter, but boy was I wrong!
Even though there was only 3 tablespoons of butter, you didn't really notice the difference!
I cut a little bit of the sugar out and added more lemon rind, but it is really up to you. I don't like to much sweetness to my desserts and I tend to cut the sugar from all my baking recipes.
And to top it off, this recipe was SO EASY! I was able to make this while I was cooking everything else without much of a hassle! =o)
If you love lemon squares PLEASE try this recipe! You and your waistline will be happy you did!!! =o)
Recipe Adapted from Cooking Light
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp grated lemon rind
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare the crust, beat 1/4 cup granulated sugar and the butter at medium speed of a mixer until creamy. Lightly spoon 1 cup flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Gradually add 1 cup flour to sugar mixture, beating at low speed until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Gently press mixture into bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes; cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare topping, beat eggs at medium speed until foamy. Add 3/4 cup granulated sugar and next 5 ingredients (3/4 cup granulated sugar through salt), and beat until well-blended. Pour mixture over partially baked crust. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until set. Cool on wire rack. Sift powdered sugar evenly over top.