Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Skinny Scalloped Potatoes

Print Friendly and PDF
 If you read my Easter post, I mentioned all the food I was making for Easter. So that menu was a spur of the moment menu since we were not planning on doing Easter dinner/supper at all. It all started with the free turkey from Shoprite! =o) But it was all delicious!

I wanted to make scalloped potatoes, but I know they can be very high in fat and calories and DELICIOUS, so I was going to make roasted root vegetables instead. I figured I'd search around for some scalloped potato recipes just to take a look at what they were. (I've never made them before so I was curious.) 
Luckily I found this AWESOME recipe from Ellie Kreiger on the foodnetwork. I know I can always turn to her recipes if I want something healthier and low in calories. Sometimes her recipes can be kind of bland and really taste like low-calorie food, but this is the EXCEPTION!!=o) It was so tasty and creamy and delicious that you didn't even notice that it was skim milk instead of whole milk! =o)

On a side note: Usually I stay away from these recipes as well because I feel that if your going to eat something Delicious and fatty, it might as well be less of it but the real thing.

Recipe Adapted from Ellie Kreiger: Foodnetwork
Here's a video of her making it as well: Click Here

 ** To Cut the potatoes, I used my food processor attachment. I do not own a mandolin. The only thing was that the food processor cut the potatoes thinner than 1/4-inch, they were about 1/8-inch, so I just cooked the potatoes for about 4-6 minutes instead.

* I used skim and whole milk mixed together because that was what I had in my fridge. The original recipe called for 3 cups of 1 percent low-fat milk.

Ingredients

Olive oil spray
3 pounds yellow potatoes, like Yukon gold, unpeeled, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
2 1/2 cups cold milk (Skim milk)
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large or 2 small sprigs thyme
1 3/4 cups grated Gruyere cheese (6 ounces)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2 quart, shallow baking dish with olive oil spray.

Put the potatoes into a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are just tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool somewhat.

Put the milk and flour into a large saucepan and whisk until the flour is dissolved. Add the garlic and thyme and heat over a medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil and is thickened, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat, discard the thyme sprig, and stir in the salt. Add 1 cup of the cheese and stir until melted.

Arrange half of the potatoes in the baking dish. Pour over half of the cheese sauce. Add the remaining potatoes and top with rest of the sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for 25 minutes, until bubbling. Put under the broiler and broil on high until the top is browned, about 2 minutes. Serve hot.

Serving size: about 1 cup
Per Serving:

Calories 280; Total Fat 9 g; (Sat Fat 5 g, Mono Fat 2.6 g, Poly Fat .5 g) ; Protein 14 g; Carb 38 g; Fiber 4 g; Cholesterol 30 mg; Sodium 570 mg



No comments:

Post a Comment